September 29, 2010

Meeting Chiefs

When going into the any community in Ghana it is very important to meet with the local traditional authorities to be granted access. There is often a protocol to follow, sometimes including bringing along bottles of schnapps or money to give to them. The first few times meeting Chiefs at their palace I was very nervous, not knowing how to act, but I am learning I just follow whatever one else does. The only rule is you can not cross your legs in his presence.

Often there are interpreters that the Chief uses to talk to people and he does not allow you to talk directly to him, however other time it has been a very relaxed atmosphere where it is just you and the chief you joke around a lot. I think a lot of it depends on the relationship you have with him already and what your purpose it going to see him.

There is a whole hierarchy of chiefs. The top ones are called Paramount Chiefs, and they oversee huge areas of land and different chiefs below them. Then there is the district chiefs, then the sub-district chiefs, then the sub chiefs and then finally the local chiefs who oversee a small section in a community. All the land is owned by them in Ghana, you need to ask for permission and usually payment to use it. The position is handed down through the family. Some are very educated (the one I mentioned below has his PhD and worked for the World Bank at one time), while others can not read.

Funny story.. in the photo where I am sitting beside the chief (he is dressed in red) he seemed to take a liking to me as he started calling me his new girlfriend and even asked me to be his wife during this visit! I declined, but was honoured that he asked. He already has 3 wives, so I don’t think he will mind. :)

All of these photos are meetings with Paramount Chiefs at their palace.




No comments:

Post a Comment